On Lu, 08 iul 19, 03:10:53, Dave Sherohman wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 07, 2019 at 03:22:40PM +0200, Salvatore Bonaccorso wrote:
> > That will be actually a permanent change, see
> > https://lists.debian.org/debian-security/2019/06/msg00015.html . The
> > intention was actually do to it already in earlier cycle, but was not
> > possible (cf.
> > https://lists.debian.org/debian-security/2015/12/msg00015.html).
>
> What was the intended method for people upgrading from pre-buster
> versions to find out about this change?  Just wait for them to try to do
> an update, get an error message, and hope that they ask on the mailing
> list instead of just commenting out the security updates line?

Testing users are supposed to be able to handle such breakage.

When bullseye becomes stable this will most likely be documented in the
Release Notes.

> Perhaps an announcement on debian-security-announce (and perhaps also on
> debian-user) would be in order?  Ideally one with a "PAY ATTENTION! THIS
> IS IMPORTANT!"-type subject line to minimize the chance of people
> missing it.

In my understanding debian-security-announce is only for stable security
updates. There is a debian-testing-security-announce list, last post in
Feb.2011:
https://lists.debian.org/debian-testing-security-announce/2011/02/msg00003.html

Apparently all security updates since have been handled via unstable.

Kind regards,
Andrei