> Hi,
>
> hobie, on 2019-07-19 :
>> dpkg -l | grep -iE 'amd-graphics|amdgpu|\<ati\>|fglrx|radeon'
>> ii  firmware-amd-graphics     [...]
>> ii  libdrm-amdgpu1:amd64      [...]
>> ii  libdrm-radeon1:amd64      [...]
>> ii  radeontop                 [...]
>> ii  xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu [...]
>> ii  xserver-xorg-video-ati    [...]
>> ii  xserver-xorg-video-mach64 [...]
>> ii  xserver-xorg-video-r128   [...]
>> ii  xserver-xorg-video-radeon [...]
>
> Well, there seem to be everything we need here, even a bit more.
>
>> dmesg | grep -iE 'amd-graphics|amdgpu|\<ati\>|fglrx|radeon'
>> [    0.340065] smpboot: CPU0: AMD A10-7860K Radeon R7, 12 Compute Cores
>> 4C+8G (family: 0x15, model: 0x38, stepping: 0x1)
>> [    1.927704] [drm] VGACON disable radeon kernel modesetting.
>> [    1.927756] [drm:radeon_init [radeon]] *ERROR* No UMS support in
>> radeon module!
>> [    2.085794] [drm:amdgpu_init [amdgpu]] *ERROR* VGACON disables amdgpu
>> kernel modesetting.
>> [   10.423460] [drm] VGACON disable radeon kernel modesetting.
>> [   10.423512] [drm:radeon_init [radeon]] *ERROR* No UMS support in
>> radeon module!
>> [   10.859252] [drm:amdgpu_init [amdgpu]] *ERROR* VGACON disables amdgpu
>> kernel modesetting.
>
> Now, this is interesting!  While browsing the web independently
> on the two error messages "VGACON disables amdgpu kernel
> modesetting" and "No UMS support in radeon module!", in both
> case the culprit was seemingly Kernel ModeSetting (KMS) being
> disabled :
>

> https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/273471/how-to-solve-drmradeon-init-radeon-error-no-ums-support-in-radeon-module
>       https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=166037
>
> https://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum/linux-graphics-x-org-drivers/open-source-amd-linux/884333-vgacon-disables-amdgpu-kernel-modesetting
>
> This confirms the statement from Alexander V. Makartsev:
>> Kernel mode setting (modeset) is often required to be enabled
>> with recent kernels. "-1" usually means "auto".
>
> It looks to me that you still have something somewhere, perhaps
> not in /etc/modprobe.d since you cleaned that directory up, but
> maybe lurking in some place else, maybe like /etc/default/grub,
> which might still disable KMS.  Which command line is currently
> applied ?
>
>       $ cat /proc/cmdline
>
> Are there particular settings applied to Grub, in case it
> affects boot environment?
>
>       $ cat /etc/default/grub
>
> I suppose that once the question of KMS is cleared, it will be
> possible to go further with other good advices given previously.

Thanks. :)  I have a faint memory of inserting 'nomodeset' long years ago
in the interest of keeping my console screen at 80x25.

cat /proc/cmdline
BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-4.19.0-5-amd64
root=UUID=c378147d-1aca-4d98-a589-6b47f02e0ef7 ro nomodeset reboot=pci
quiet

Contents of /etc/default/grub:

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_TIMEOUT=5
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="nomodeset reboot=pci"

# Uncomment to enable BadRAM filtering, modify to suit your needs
# This works with Linux (no patch required) and with any kernel that obtains
# the memory map information from GRUB (GNU Mach, kernel of FreeBSD ...)
#GRUB_BADRAM="0x01234567,0xfefefefe,0x89abcdef,0xefefefef"

# Uncomment to disable graphical terminal (grub-pc only)
GRUB_TERMINAL=console

# The resolution used on graphical terminal
# note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via VBE
# you can see them in real GRUB with the command `vbeinfo'
#GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480

# Uncomment if you don't want GRUB to pass "root=UUID=xxx" parameter to Linux
#GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true

# Uncomment to disable generation of recovery mode menu entries
#GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY="true"

# Uncomment to get a beep at grub start
#GRUB_INIT_TUNE="480 440 1"

--hobie