Pascal Hambourg <pas...@plouf.fr.eu.org> writes:
> Le 23/07/2019 à 04:53, Martin McCormick a écrit :

> Do you mean that GRUB is installed on an internal drive ?

Yes.

> By default, GRUB relies on the BIOS disk services to access drives. But it
> also has native ATA and USB drivers which are not loaded by default. See
> the 'nativedisk' command.
>

> Be aware that loading native drivers switches GRUB to a new different
> world
> : BIOS drives (hdX) will not be available any more and environment
> variables pointing at drives such as $root and $prefix will need to be
> updated with native drive names (ataX, usbX...).

Thanks again for the heads up.

> Also, note that chainloading a bootloader (boot sector or ntldr) which
> relies on BIOS disk services will not work. Loading a kernel and initramfs
> should work if they include native USB drivers.

My thanks to all who responded.  In addition to your responses, I
later found a discussion  on one of the stackexchange sites
dealing with this same issue and was about to kick myself for
wasting everybody's time but it turned out every response touched
on a different aspect of the issue so it sounds like it will keep
me busy for awhile.

        It may turn out to be less of a headache to make it a
duel-boot system.  One boot would be the latest debian console
and the other would be Debian Wheezy as I have some PIC
microcontroller development tools that don't make in today's
world.

        This is a Dell Dimension motherboard with 1 GB of RAM and
a 600-MHZ Pentium which works very well in the command-line world
so I'll run it until the motherboard fries.  Yup! It's about 20
years old but no reason to trash it yet.

Martin WB5AGZ