Hi,

basti wrote:
> I have the same problem, with netinstall iso on usb stick it search for
> cd at hatdware detection step ab abort this with an error.
>
> usb stick is create with unetbootin an test in kvm.

Does the trick of
  https://askubuntu.com/questions/671159/bootable-usb-needs-cd-rom
work for you ?

  Once I get the "Your installation CD-ROM couldn't be mounted..."
  message and I'm back at the main Ubuntu Server install screen, I
  simply plugged the USB thumbdrive out, then plugged it in again,
  and then after pressing the "detect CD" option, I got "The CD-ROM
  autodetection was successful... The installation will now continue."
  ... and so the installation continued.

(Actually i suspect that re-trying did the trick, not re-plugging.)

Using unetbootin is not the currently recommended way to put a bootable
Debian ISO onto USB stick.
For GNU/Linux or other Unixes see
  https://www.debian.org/CD/faq/#write-usb
On MS-Windos, the program Rufus in its "dd" mode is supposed to do it right.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas