On Sun, Aug 11, 2019 at 12:32 PM Mindaugas Celiesius
<m.celies...@yandex.ru> wrote:
> > In an older version of debian (7 or so) I had my system set so the login
> > screen would show my user name as the default.
> Hello. By default, LightDM is configured so that the user should enter login
> name and password. Login name is considered sensitive information. It is
> possible to provide the user with selection of available user accounts. The
> most recently used login name will be selected in the list. The user still
> has to enter password to login. This provides useful compromise between
> security and convenience for a single-user desktop system. To enable user
> list, place the following settings into
> /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/01_my.conf:
>
> [Seat:*]
> greeter-hide-users=false

Great, that worked, thanks so much, Mindaugas!

A couple of points:

1. I had to restart the system, a mere logout didn't change anything.

2. The surprise is that it didn't actually show my user name, it
showed my real name. So security is a little better than showing my
user name; in fact, it seems better because, otherwise, folks in my
audience could see me type my user name!

Best regards,

-Tom