On Fri, 16 Aug 2019, loredana wrote:

> [...]
> From: loredana <llcf...@gmail.com>
> To: Celejar <cele...@gmail.com>
> Cc: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: webmail and email from command line
>
> First of all, I wish to thank all of you who shared their experience.
> Be reassured I am taking any constructive suggestion into serious
> account and exploring more.
>
> Then:
>
> On Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 2:03 AM Celejar <cele...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 16:24:49 +000
>
> > loredana <llcf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > secure applications, this is likely not to be a viable solution (it
> > > seems that google is going to forbit less secure application access
> > > starting November first of this year and it is already a pain to use
> > > it now).
> >
> > What is your source for Google's plans, and how is it already a pain?
>
> I am following the google development on this issue, but I got the
> date from the mu4e mailing list. I'l post the link, if I can find it
> again (remember, I am almost blind and even replying to email is, at
> the moment, really slow and difficult).
>
> > have been using getmail and sylpheed with several Google mail accounts
> > for years, and it seemed pretty straightforward - just set the "allow
> > less secure apps" option, and then configure POP3 / SMTP normally.
>
> In the email that started this thread, I tried to make clear that this
> is something happening "now". I use the internet for crossing oceans
> quickly since bitnet and I remember whet google was born as
> google."org". I am myself a long term gmail user and this is why I
> carefully look after main changes. The way email clients will
> authenticate to gmail is drfinitely one of them and is going to affect
> us for sure.
>
> I may be able to be more responsive once I find a good way of avoiding
> webmail.
> Meanwhile, here is the best I could find toward a possible solution
> that may help avoid the OAUTH2 authorization issue by complying with
> it.
>
> You need debian buster as a minimum, then look at the gmailieer
> package. It seems to be oauth2 enabled and therefore be able to access
> gmail and possibly other mail providers. I still have to test it. If
> you try it, be careful because it requires notmuch and notmuch is in
> the less secure apps list, so you have to allow less secure apps
> first, I guess, and hopefully be able to set it off/on as you like
> again (if you can, this will probably get a feeling about the pain
> ...).
>
> gmailieer is GPLv3+ and in debian. IMHO this these are two good
> things. The debian package page:
> https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=gmailieer
>
> It seems that mbsync (isink) is on itw long way to become OAUTH2
> enableb, too, as possibly other applications. It is a matter of timen
> and the free software community will catch up, as usual.
>
> I don't think the authentication issue is going to affect webmail

Running using 2fa may be possible with non-browser apps if your security
records indicate you ran with what google considers an untrusted app and
google has it listed.  You can generate an app-specific password for the
non-browser app and will need to save it.  Then you modify your
non-browser app settings on local machine and key in that app-specific
password in place of the other password you used earlier.  This has been
documented for mutt as being possible and may work for other non-browser
apps too.  You'll need to give google a mobile number for account
recovery and the like too.