Well accepted 3 variations of Debian is the norm. live CD version is there.
When I made the transition to old laptops the wireless adapter was
consistently a problem, so I moved to derivatives because I could install
them as OS. They have their own strengths and weaknesses. I want Debian
back on my stinking old computers installable for sure, rich and no frills.
I also want just enough next to assembly codes of select general
applications. Is reduction-ism the word for it? Like one additional
distribution, worked on and with forever. Or, am I too lazy to keep
stepping up? Is there another way to absorb improvements transparently?