On Mon, 2019-09-16 at 20:31 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Monday 16 September 2019 19:50:32 Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>
> > Quoting Gene Heskett (2019-09-16 22:10:53)

> > > pinking?
> >
> > What a weird typo.  I meant to type "linking". :-)

> not
> > >
> > > Debian 10.1 for armhf, that 1.1 is a typu. Fixed.
> >
> > Thanks for clarifying.
> >
> > No, Debian 10.x a.k.a. Buster does not support rpi4:
> > https://wiki.debian.org/RaspberryPi#Raspberry_Pi_4
> >
> Is there a SWAG estimate on timeline till support?  Or is it the
> foundation thats doing the foot dragging?

Buster uses the 4.19 kernel, that was released 11 months ago so I
assume that didn't have support for RPi4 then. To get support in
Buster, someone would have had support accepted into Linus Torvald's
kernel, then backport that and have it accepted into the 4.19 Long Term
Support (LTS) kernel on kernel.org, from where Debian would pick it up.

Googling on site kernel.org, shows an RFC to add support [1] but those
files aren't in Linux 5.3, and there's a patch still in development [2]
to enable the kernel to support more than 1GB RAM on hardware like the
RPi4 has.

Conclusion, to me, it looks like the mainline kernel doesn't yet have
RPi4 support, and when it does, would anyone want to go to the effort
to backport that to 4.19? I wouldn't be holding my breath for RPi4B
support in a Buster netinst image.

--
Tixy

[1] https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/11048253/