On 1/29/2020 4:22 PM, Christoph Pleger wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On 2020-01-28 09:28, Christoph Pleger wrote:
>
>> on my notebook computer, I have a WLAN interface that is managed with
>> NetworkManager and a cable-bound network interface that gets its
>> static IP address by a systemd-networkd configuration file. But as of
>> course on a portable notebook the cable-bound network interface is not
>> always connected, it is a additionally also managed by NetworkManager.
>> Hostname resolution takes place through systemd-resolved, that is,
>> /etc/resolv.conf is a symbolic link to
>> /run/systemd/resolve/stub-resolv.conf .
>
> On another machine, after I had realized that the dynamic IP address
> assigned by NetworkManager/dhclient to the wired interface was preferred
> over the IP address statically configured in systemd-networkd
> configuration, I decided to switch back to a combination of ifupdown,
> NetworkManager and resolvconf, like I had it in Debian 9. ifupdown for
> normal static configuration of eno1, NetworkManager for starting an
> OpenVPN connection from the GUI and resolvconf to be also able to start
> the VPN connection from the command line (the openvpn package has a
> script update-resolv-conf that uses resolvconf).
>
> So, I disabled systemd-networkd.service and systemd-resolved.service,
> installed resolvconf and configured it to maintain /etc/resolv.conf,
> created /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/network/interfaces.d/eno1 with
> appropriate entries, including the dns-* entries for resolvconf, and set
> managed=true in the [ifupdown] section of
> /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf .
>
> But after a reboot, I discovered that /etc/resolv.conf - besides from
> the '# Automatically created by resolvconf, do not edit' entry - was
> empty, though it should have contained the nameservers given in
> dns-nameservers entry of the ifupdown configuration. Also, the OpenVPN
> connection could not be started from the GUI, I then tried command line
> tool nmcli, which gave the error that the base connection for the
> OpenVPN connection could not be found. Disabling NetworkManager and
> another reboot wrote useful entries to /etc/resolv.conf, but of course
> without NetworkManager I cannot use the GUI-NetworkManager-Plugin to
> start the OpenVPN connection.
>
> I am quite sure that this combination of ifupdown, NetworkManager and
> resolvconf worked in Debian 9 with exactly that configuration, so what
> is it that makes it non-working in Debian 10? Maybe something in the
> order when the services are started at boot time? Or does someone have
> an idea what might be wrong in my configuration?

With regard to your interfaces, eider use only NetworkManager or
'/etc/network/interfaces or systemd.'

So my suggestion is to stick with the GUI, NM in this case, and the
'resolvconf' package and OpenVPN if you want.

Other then NM, you don't need to tinker with ifup/down and so on...

Note that Buster is not Stretch, so I would look at getting things
working in an other way! :)

If you need support for NM, you might better seek that support on the NM
channels.

--
John Doe