I run a small LAN (currently about 10 active members) all connected to
the Internet via a Debian Buster firewall and PPPoE.  Most of the time
this is stable and transparent but just on occasion (like last night)
the PPP link goes down and I have to restart it manually when I notice
the issue.  This brings up two problems.

1: Since upgrading from Stretch to Buster the plog command does not
work, showing only pre-Buster output.  This is clearly because
/var/log/ppp.log is not being written to.   The man page for plog says
that it would be if /etc/syslog.conf has a particular line in it; but
there is no /etc/syslog.conf file.  There is a /etc/rsyslog.conf file
with the recommended line in it but it is not working.  How do I get
plog and /var/log/ppp.log back?
     local2.*       -/var/log/ppp.log

2:  Ideally I would like PPP to restart after a break without manual
intervention.  Following advice earlier I have in the
/etc/ppp/peers/dsl-provider file the lines
                            persist
                            holdoff 1
which used to give some resilience but at 4am today it did not.  Is
there a simple way to restart automatically that works?  I could wrie
code to view /var/log/messages for pppd but that seems over complex.

==John ffitch