On Mon, Feb 24, 2020 at 10:16:36AM -0500, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> >> I've bent my system bad. When I boot, it comes up in the CLI -- not in
> >> slim, to XFCE. It does the regular login and the .bashrc tricks, and
> >> startx starts XFCE just fine.
> [...]
> > But, if you want to diagnose your display manager, first figure out
> > which one you were trying to use.
>
> He said above that he expected the `slim` (aka SLiM) display manager.

Oh.  I've never heard of that one.  It's cruel and unusual to make a
display manager that doesn't have the letters "dm" in its name.
Doubly so if the name is a common English word.

Following the hyperlinks to
<https://packages.debian.org/buster/amd64/slim/filelist>, I can see that
its systemd unit file is "slim.service".  So,

systemctl status slim
journalctl -u slim
dmesg | grep -i firmware
less /var/log/Xorg.0.log
cd /var/log && ls -lart | tail && less "whatever file is recently modified"
etc.