Things are looking a bit more promising now...

On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 6:14 PM Bernard <bdebr...@free.fr> wrote:

> Le 03/04/2020 21:05, Kent West a écrit :
> >

> > On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 1:41 PM Bernard <bdebr...@free.fr
> > <mailto:bdebr...@free.fr>> wrote:
> >

> >     Having done some minor resettings on alsamixer with no results, I
> >     thought I had to reboot.
> >
> >     But : "Oh no, something has gone wrong..."
> >
> >     So, I am writing this message from my other laptop running Ubuntu
> 14.04
> >
> >     I tried to reboot in rescue mode, but I don't know what to do from
> >     there. 'startx' says that it doesn't have the proper files to launch
> >     startx as root.
> >
> >     login
> >     bd
> >
> >     says : wrong login (doesn't even ask a pswd)
> >

> > It's unclear how far you're getting.
> >
> > Can you boot normally and get to a login prompt on a text-only screen?
> >
> > --
> > Kent
> >
> Thanks for your reply. To get login prompt and text screen, I had to
> take pictures with a camera, since the caracters are so small. Reading
> back those images, I will say this :

The pictures help. I see from the second picture that these are from a
"rescue boot"; what happens with just a normal boot?

> upon booting, a number of screen messages do appear and scroll down
> fast. I could only see that 'OK' was on most or all of them. In the end,
> a screen with smaller characters appear for 2-3 sec, that I have
> photographied.It has two lines as follows :
>
> /dev/sda1: clean, 408719/60530688 files, 116865639/242103552 blocks
> [    8.436046] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: priv: HUB0: 085014 ffffffff (1e70820b)
>
> Those two lines only appear for 2-3 sec, so I had a hard time to
> photography them on the screen, and I am just coping them by hand, Links
> for photos are as follows :
>
> http://bdebreil.free.fr/IMG_0900.jpg
> http://bdebreil.free.fr/IMG_0901.jpg
> http://bdebreil.free.fr/IMG_0902.jpg
> http://bdebreil.free.fr/IMG_0903.jpg
> http://bdebreil.free.fr/IMG_0904.jpg
>
> After those 2-3 sec, another screen appears saying (translated from
> French to English)
>
> "Oops, something went wront. A problem has occured and the system cannot
> recuperate. Please disconnect and try again"
>
> Countless trials have all lead to the same behaviour.
>
> Now, if I reboot on rescue mode, a lot of fast moving messages do
> appear, I only could see that most or all of them bore the mention 'OK',
> as said before. In the end, smaller characters do remain on screen,
> waiting till I submit the root pasword. Then :
>
> You are in rescue mode. After logging in, type "journalctl -xb" to view
> system logs, "systemctlreboot" to reboot, "systemctldefault" or ?D to
> boot into default mode
>
> Give the superuser pswd (or press CTRL-D) to continue : [    9.315865]
> [TTM] Zone kernel: A
>
> Available graphic memory: 2097152 kiB
>
> [   9.316077 [TTM] Initializing DMA pool allocator
> [ nouveau ..... DRM:
> etc ...
>
> When typing 'ls -l' home directories do not appear (see pictures)

Try "ls -l /"

Next I typed 'journalctl -xb' to view system logs : a dozen of pages
> which I will shoot later, one thing I have noticed in it all, printed in
> red characters :
>
> EXT4-fs (sda2): unable to read superblock
>
> this repeated three times !

This looks a bit worrisome, but it may not actually be; it depends on what
device is at sda2 (it might be a second (unformatted, unused) hard drive,
or a USB thumb drive, or a CD/DVD drive, or ...). Without more context,
it's hard to say much at this point. I'd hold off on worrying about it just
yet. As mentioned above, I'm mostly interesting in knowing what happens
when you do a normal boot.

Thanks in advance for your comments and advises.

--
Kent West                    <")))><