On Fri, Jun 05, 2020 at 09:28:21AM -0700, Peter Ehlert wrote:
> Family is using Zoom, International.
> They will use Zoom, and I need to participate.
>
> I use Debian Mate Stable, and Firefox ESR
>
> I am concerned about security, duh!
> Looking for ideas.
>
> my current thoughts, in order of preference:
>
> 2. Sandbox? (but how can I do that?)

You might consider installing zoom as a snap package[1] instead of a deb.
Snaps provide some confinement that, in theory, provide some extra level
of security(harder for zoom to spread files all over your system, etc)

Alternatively, install the zoom deb package in a chroot[2].  I like to
use schroot to help with this kind of thing.

Then create a separate dedicated user just for running zoom.  That will
help limit zoom's access to your normal user's data.

[1] https://snapcraft.io/install/zoom-client/debian
[2] https://wiki.debian.org/chroot