On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 9:43 PM Gary Aitken <deb...@dreamchaser.org> wrote:

> On 6/15/20 3:43 PM, Kenneth Parker wrote:
> >

> > On Mon, Jun 15, 2020, 4:40 PM Gary Aitken <deb...@dreamchaser.org
> > <mailto:deb...@dreamchaser.org>> wrote:
> > $ dpkg --simulate --remove postfix dpkg: could not open log
> > '/var/log/dpkg.log': Permission denied
> > Lots of the apt and dpkg functions require Root or Sudo. Notice the
> > "Permission denied" phases mixed in with the responses.
>
> Notice the --simulate; at this point I'm not trying to actually perform
> the action.  --simulate works whether running as root or not.  In any
> case, I've previously tried running --simulate using sudo or when logged
> in as root and the result is the same ... the libc-bin self-reference:
>
> > dpkg: cycle found while processing triggers:
> >   chain of packages whose triggers are or may be responsible:
> >    libc-bin -> libc-bin
> >   packages' pending triggers which are or may be unresolvable:
> >    libc-bin: ldconfig
> > dpkg: error processing package libc-bin (--purge):
> >   triggers looping, abandoned

The "/var/log" Directories are restricted to Root, and Log Handling Users
only.  That's the "permission denied" in this case.

There's controversy over if you should use Root, or escalate Permissions
with sudo, both in Debian and Ubuntu.  I generally override all of that
(personal choice) with "sudo passwd root" which, when followed correctly
should give you a Root User with its Password.  Then, I set aside a Virtual
Terminal (if Text) or an XTerm, signed on as Root, which I will only use
when needed, including routine apt update / apt upgrade activities and log
brousing.  That's on one Virtual Terminal (or Virtual Desktop), and ignored
unless needed.  And then I do my normal work as my Normal User.

Kenneth Parker