elvis writes:
> If you are not a native English speaker then how do you know what
> allow and reject mean?

By knowing the English language and therefor having the words "allow",
"reject", and "list" in his vocabulary.

"Blacklist" and "whitelist" are also English words but not part of basic
English[1].  One could easily have enough English to know the basic
meanings of "white", "black", and "list" but still not immediately
intuit the meanings of "whitelist" and "blacklist".  It's hard for
native speakers to see that because of the somewhat cultural association
of "white" (not the race: just the color) with positive and "black" with
negative.

"Master" and "slave", on the other hand, are quite clear.  Human slavery
being extinct as a legal practice[2] and almost extinct as an illegal
one I see no reason not to repurpose the terms.

[1] "Blacklist" has nothing to do with race.  It goes back to 17th
century English politics.  The term "whitelist" was invented quite
recently to describe the reverse of a blacklist.

[2] I consider military conscription slavery but almost no one agrees
with me so that's irrelevant here.
--
John Hasler
jhas...@newsguy.com