On Fri, 26 Jun 2020 Gene Heskett wrote:
On Friday 26 June 2020 15:46:15 davidson wrote:

On Sat, 20 Jun 2020 Gene Heskett wrote:
On Saturday 20 June 2020 18:22:56 davidson wrote:
On Sat, 20 Jun 2020, Gene Heskett wrote:
Greetings all;
I am running an app that gets messed up if the screen blanker
kicks in, so I used xset to shut off dpms. Has no effect.  So
how do I shut the screen blanker down for the jobs duration?
                                                ^^^ ^^^ ^^^^ ^^^^^^^^

Mark that goal post.

[... davidson wrote:]

Since we seem to be troubleshooting, what is the output of

  $ xset q

gene@coyote:/media$ xset q
[snip]
DPMS (Energy Star):
  Standby: 450    Suspend: 600    Off: 900
  DPMS is Disabled

But if I repeat that query half san hour later, something has
re-enabled dpms.  Murphy?
[... David Wright wrote:]

If the system insists on setting dpms, can you change those three
numbers with   dpms 1 2 3   only using some *very* large numbers.

(DE stuff is beyond me.)

Cheers,
David.
[... Gene Heskett wrote:]

I just gave that a try, with 3000 6000 and 9000

How did that go?

I can turn it off, once,
        ^^^^ ^^ ^^^  ^^^^

What does this mean, exactly?

Are you telling us that yes, the requested setting is *obeyed* for the
duration of that particular X session? (I cannot figure out anything
else it might mean.)

Like, did you (in that desktop session) get 50 minutes of not-blank
screentime before standby mode kicked in after you issued

 $ xset dpms 3000 6000 9000

?

If so, then David's method does precisely what you asked for in your
original post, and it would be helpful --for the sake of people
reading the list archives at least-- for you to confirm that
unambiguously.

How about it? Yes or No?

then its back to the 7.5 minute defaults.
I've given up. I cannot force it on for more than 7.5 minutes by
anything but a mouse wiggler.

I might just come over there and mouse wiggle *you* if you don't drop
the damn Rodney Dangerfield routine.

Put on your big boy technician pants and properly exchange
troubleshooting information with your interested peers.

And I'm now alone, they finally found a rest home for my missus, but
she is quarantined for 2 weeks. At nearly 8g's a month.  Out in the
sticks, at least a 1:20 drive from here.  And getting sick of my own
cooking, but I've been doing all that since she fell and broke a hip
nearly 4 years ago.

New occassions teach new duties. Saw that inscribed in granite
once. Guess it must be true.

But take care of yourself, whatever else you do.

--
What do you want to take off? [hrzF or ?*] F
You were wearing a +0 robe.  The frost giant turns to flee.