On Wed, Jul 8, 2020 at 8:47 PM Dan Ritter <d...@randomstring.org> wrote:

> Kenneth Parker wrote:
> > I happily run Chromium under, both Debian Buster and Devuan Ascii (non
> > SystemD equivalent to Stretch).  It comes with proper .deb files and
> > installs quite well, thank you very much.
>
> Chromium is the open-source version of Chrome. You can also get
> Chrome itself from Google, if that's what you want. That's not
> an open-source package.
>
> > Somehow, Ubuntu decided to make Chromium a Snap Package.  (I'm reading
> the
> > articles about it now.  I don't like it).
> >
> > *But*, I decided to install Mint 20, to help out a Friend, who is doing
> > some work I support under it.  Mint hates Snap, even though it's based on
> > Ubuntu.  However, they didn't take the step themselves to put the Debian
> > Repositories in for Chromium.
> > [/background]
> >
> > Now, when running Debian Systems, people caution against mixing
> > Repositories from other Distributions.  Does this work the other way?
> > Would I get into trouble, adding the Buster (or Bullseye) Repositories,
> > only for installing Chromium from it?
>
> The underlying reason for avoiding mixing repos is that you
> create a system where things stop working and you might not be
> able to get back to usable.
>
> This is least likely to happen when you install a repo that only
> adds an application package: if the package doesn't work, you
> know what went wrong and how to remove it.

In my earlier search, I missed  a rather important article [1] in the Mint
Install Guide which, among other things, mentions "Apt Pinning", and even
does a Shoutout to Debian Buster.  I think this "Technique" will work for
me.

It is most likely to happen when you install a repo with lots of
> packages, especially libraries that many other packages depend
> on.
>
> > [Humor]
> > There have been discussions about not creating a FrankenDebian System.
> How
> > about FrankenMint or FrankenUbuntu one?
> > [/Humor]
>
> In the end, you are responsible for what you do. When you know
> what you are doing, it is much safer to experiment than when you
> don't know what you are doing.

+1  --  We are *absolutely* responsible for what we do!

You might try getting the Debian Chromium package directly,
> without a repo. It won't update automatically, but that might
> also be what you want.

That will also be an option if I have problems.  But I'm going to try the
"Apt Pinning" technique, mentioned above and in this Article.  Apparently,
it limits what is installed from a particular Repository, so that I don't
"Busterize Mint".

[1] https://linuxmint-user-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/chromium.html

Thank you, by the way!

Kenneth Parker