David Wright wrote:
> One of the most pleasurable times in my career was when our Research
> Computing Advisor thrust a copy of the Green Book into my hands.
> http://www.math.bas.bg/bantchev/place/snobol/gpp-2ed.pdf
> After years of Fortran, this was my first experience of a designed
> computer language, with dynamic allocation of memory, dynamic typing,
> associative arrays, and its claim to fame, pattern matching.
>
> With over 40 years of language development since then, it's probably
> difficult for anyone now to get quite the same buzz from meeting this
> language. (BTW I was never a user of SNOBOL4 itself, but the compiled
> version, SPITBOL, which was much faster, and available to me on IBM
> OS/360 and its successors.) Its pattern matching was very ahead of
> its time.

  yes that was one of languages we surveyed in
the computer language class.  :)  much fun back
then.  same as lisp, algol, ada, smalltalk, etc.

  i think i still have the green book here
someplace.

  time marches on and i've mostly retired from
coding unless i can come up with something that
catches my interest strongly enough to keep me
busy through a winter.  summertime i'm too busy
gardening to put much time into anything
significant.

  songbird