Aha - it might be one of the strange generation of machines (way back) that
had 32 bit UEFI/BIOS and a 64 bit capable Atom processor - maybe back as
far as the Sandy Bridge series ... a long time ago anyway. Use,
specifically, the Debian i386/amd64 multiarch netboot to install this and
it works and installs the 32 bit Grub [BIOS] /Grub2 [UEFI] and 64 bit
userland.

Have done this once on an old Toshiba - this was the only way to get this
machine to boot.