On 13/8/20 10:14 am, rhkra...@gmail.com wrote:
I'm getting closer to setting up a consistent backup plan, backing up to an
external USB drive.  I'm wondering about a reasonable filesystem to use, I
think I want to stay in the ext2/3/4 family, and I'm wondering if there is any
good reason to use anything beyond ext2?

(Some day I'll try ZFS or BTRFS for my "system" filesystems, but don't see any
point (and don't want to learn) either of them at this point -- I don't see
much need for a backup filesystem.)

But, I'll listen to opinions ;-)

I use ext4. The advantage is journaling, which as I understand it reduces the chance of loss in case of power failure or the like. If you're using rsync, it will correct any prior bad copies (I think) at the next run.

On the basis that 1 back-up is better than none, can you cope with 2 external devices? As somebody else said in another topic, (approx) as long as you have a well tested spare lying around for when the main target fails. Somebody put it more like this many years ago: There are 2 kinds of drives around; those that have failed, and those that are going to fail. Thankfully failure is getting rarer.

--
Keith Bainbridge

keithrbaugro...@gmail.com
or ke1thozgro...@gmx.com