On Tue, Sep 1, 2020, 12:17 PM R. Ramesh <rram...@verizon.net> wrote:

> My attempts to upgrade to Jesse (8) did not work at all and all the
> information on the net seem old and not current that Buster is out and
> jesse is already archived. Anyway, after looking around, I made ddrescue
> copy of the current install disk (only 64GB, so easy) first and then
> directly upgraded to Stretch (9).
>
>   I had to iterate a couple of times looking to fix broken packages, but
> at the end, I had stretch working fine. The biggest trouble I had was
> dist-upgrade fail as it could not remove some packages. I had to force
> remove and reboot before dist-upgrade worked. After that it was very
> easy to upgrade to Buster. However there was some hickups with dbus
> connections and commands took a long time. A couple of reboots and force
> removal and reinstall of a couple of packages, everything worked (I think)

First, let me date myself:  My Computer Career began in Aug, 1973.  My
first Linux was Yggdrasil Plug and Play Linux, the only one I know of,
which maintained /usr/src for the GNU Commands, as well as the Linux
Kernel.

That said, Wheezy is  *way*  too far away from Buster!  For example,
"Update in Place" is likely to fail, because of SystemD changes.  (Heck, I
had trouble updating Stretch to Buster in Place, but some of that was User
Error).

My Recommendation, if it isn't too late, is to Install Buster in a separate
Partition, and then copy /home files as desired. Reclaim the Wheezy
Partition when you are sure that you don't need it anymore.

Good Luck!

Kenneth Parker