On 09/25/2020 08:49 AM, Dan Ritter wrote:
Stephen P. Molnar wrote:
I am running up-to-date Buster, unfortunately there seems to be a bit of a
problem.

Normally I run the update process several times a week with the command sudo
apr update && sudo apt upgrade. This morning this resulted in the error

The following partially installed packages will be configured:
   brscan4
No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed.
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
E: Can't find a source to download version '0.4.8-1' of 'brscan4:amd64'
After unpacking 0 B will be used.
E: Can't find a source to download version '0.4.8-1' of 'brscan4:amd64'
E: Internal error: couldn't generate list of packages to download
E: Perhaps the package lists are out of date, please try 'aptitude update'
(or equivalent); otherwise some packages or versions are not available from
the current repository sources

I reinstalled the Brother printer drivers, apparently barscan4 was not
included. I contgaced Brother tech support, but was told that they did not
support Linux.

I tried:

sudo mv /var/lib/apt/lists /var/lib/apt/lists.old
sudo apt-get clean
sudo apt-get update

This resulted in a long list of get: (ellipses)    followed by my user
prompt. Unfortunately, update generated the same errors.

At this point I don't have the faintest idea as to how to proceed. Pointers
towards a solution to the problem will be much appreciated.
apt-get update   fetches package lists
apt-get upgrade  fetches and install packages

In this case, I think you have a problem with update, which
leads to the problem with upgrade.

Check your /etc/apt/sources.list and entries in
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/

Something probably is not responding. There are mirrors for most
repos, so pick different mirrors, or use
http://deb.debian.org/debian/

-dsr-

Many thanks for the quick response.

Here is my edited sources.list:

deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 10.1.0 _Buster_ - Official amd64 DVD Binary-1 20190908-01:09]/ buster contrib main

# deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 10.1.0 _Buster_ - Official amd64 DVD Binary-1 20190908-01:09]/ buster contrib main

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ buster main non-free contrib
deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian/ buster main non-free contrib

deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security/ buster/updates main contrib non-free deb-src http://security.debian.org/debian-security/ buster/updates main contrib non-free

# buster-updates, previously known as 'volatile'
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ buster-updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian/ buster-updates non-free contrib main

Unfortunately, I got the same error list.

--
Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D.
www.molecular-modeling.net