On Fri, Oct 16, 2020 at 01:43:59PM +0200, Klaus Singvogel wrote:
> I'm already running my Debian with $HOME set to a different path:
> /home.disk2/<username>
>
> All I needed to change was the /etc/passwd entry: to the new, different
> location; nearly eveything worked fine since then.
>
> I started with this constellation years ago and never changed the path
> afterwards. So I don't have any experience in case of a move.
>
> The only "program" which caused issues in the past was apparmor.
> For this, I modified: /etc/apparmor.d/tunables/home.d/site.local
> and added: @{HOMEDIRS}+=/home.disk2

The other points I would bring up, when moving user home directories:

1) The user(s) in question should not be logged in.  If you're moving
   the entire /home then all users should be logged out.  Log in
   directly as root, on the text console if possible.

2) Any long-running user processes may continue to hold open files in
   the old file system.  Either kill off any such processes, or reboot
   the system after the change.