I am fairly convinced that the USB 3 port previously mentioned has a loose
connection.

It also seems to me that a FAT32 device such as a memory stick is
automatically mounted when inserted in a USB port while the system
is running, if such a device is not referenced in /etc/fstab.

What is not clear to me is what happens to an NTFS device such as a
portable drive when it is inserted in a USB port while the system is
running, if the device is not referenced in /etc/fstab.

The following point is observed :-

USB devices referenced in /etc/fstab are automatically mounted when the
system is rebooted, even though their entries include the noauto option
(the devices are already plugged in when a reboot is performed).

What happens to a USB device that is not referenced in /etc/fstab,
when it is plugged into a USB port while the system is running :-

If the filesystem is FAT32 (e.g. a memory stick) will it always be
automatically mounted or will it always have to be manually mounted ?

If the filesystem is NTFS (e.g. a portable hard drive) will it always
be automatically mounted or will it always have to be manually mounted ?

The automount system appears to be usbmount.