From: Reco <recovery...@enotuniq.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2020 09:30:04 +0300
> This one works for me:
>
> $ lspci  | grep Wireless
> 03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless 3160 (rev 83)
>
> It's a mini-PCI card, inserted in PCI-X adapter.

OK, thanks.  A USB TP-Link here is used with a laptop.  For a desktop
system, a PCI-X adapter might perform better than a USB.  Will see
what is available.

> It would be illegal in US, and you have to thank FCC for that - [1].
> Applies to WiFi cards too.
> [1] https://hackaday.com/2016/02/26/fcc-locks-down-router-firmware/

Interesting article about commercial products.

I imagined FPGA based hardware assembled by J. Doe on the kitchen
table.  It would need to be licensed similar to amateur radio? But
available licenses don't cover the WiFi band? Wouldn't it be similar
to licensing outdoor Christmas lights because they radiate a week EM
field?  Isn't radiated power below some level exempted?

Does the FCC (Industry Canada) drive around every residential
neighbourhood and knock on every door where a field is detected and
ask to verify that it is generated by licensed equipment?  Seems
unrealistic.

Regards,                                  ... P.

--
Tel: +1 604 670 0140            Bcc: peter at easthope. ca