On Wed, Dec 30, 2020, 1:12 PM Andrei POPESCU <andreimpope...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mi, 30 dec 20, 13:29:05, Marc Auslander wrote:
> >
> > IMHO, there are two levels of backup.  The more common use is to undo
> > user error - deleting the wrong thing or changing something and wanting
> > to back out.  For that, backups on the same system are the most
> > convenient.  And if its on the same system, and you have raid1, you
> > don't need a separate physical drive.
> >
> > The second is of course disaster recovery, a very low probability
> > event - and I backup in the cloud and occasionally on removable media
> > for that.
>
> What's the benefit of the "first" level if you also have the "second"
> and is it worth the extra complexity?

The answer is yes, if my management deems the quicker turn-around on case 1
restores to be beneficial. Or beneficial for that particular server. We may
be speaking of 2 different use cases: multi-tenant server versus dedicated
backend server.

In my opinion a good backup system should be able to easily deal with
> both use cases.

Honestly the only place I've found that to really truly work in practice at
large scale is IBM's mainframe hierarchical storage systems. Note I said
"at scale".

Kind regards,