After using a rather old Canon scanner for many years, I recently upgraded to
the Canon LiDE 300,and installed the drivers as directed, on a Bullseye system
(10.2.0-17).
The printer is recognized:
$ scanimage -Ldevice `pixma:04A91913_47A8A4' is a CANON CanoScan LiDE 300
multi-function peripheraldevice `escl:http://127.0.0.1:60000' is a Canon LiDE
300 (USB) flatbed scanner
When I run simple-scan, it detects the printer and announces itself ready to
go, but when I tryto scan anything, I get the message "Failed to scan Unable to
connect to scanner". I Googled foranything related to this; there's a bunch of
stuff on Ubuntu and Mint forums about purging the"ippusbxd" package, but this
isn't on Debian.
I then ran simple-scan with the debug flag, and at the moment I try to initiate
a scan, I got:
[+20.83s] DEBUG: simple-scan.vala:1817: Requesting scan at 150 dpi from
device'escl:http://127.0.0.1:60000'[+20.83s] DEBUG: scanner.vala:1683:
Scanner.scan ("escl:http://127.0.0.1:60000";, dpi=150,scan_mode=ScanMode.GRAY,
depth=2, type=single, paper_width=0, paper_height=0, brightness=0,contrast=0,
delay=3000ms)[+20.83s] DEBUG: scanner.vala:828: Processing request[+20.83s]
DEBUG: scanner.vala:889: sane_open ("escl:http://127.0.0.1:60000";)
->SANE_STATUS_NO_MEM[+20.83s] WARNING: scanner.vala:893: Unable to open device:
Out of memory

I'm not sure what could be going on, as I have a ton of memory on my system.
I don't know why I tried this, but I then ran simple-scan as root, and...it
worked perfectly.
I'm bewildered by this--any idea what I should be looking at?