On Sun, Jan 24, 2021 at 9:16 AM Andrei POPESCU <andreimpope...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sb, 16 ian 21, 10:28:43, Dan Hitt wrote:
> >
> > Regarding Andrei's suggestion of using nm-connection-editor, and using
> > "Shared to other computers", i saw that last night, and tried using it.
> It
> > looked similar to the gui that i had on my old mint (ubuntu) machine.
>
> Eventually I got around to actually test this.
>
> First thing I noticed is that some of the necessary components are
> Recommends of network-manager (dnsmasq-base and iptables, confirmed by
> the package description). Unless installation of Recommends is
> explicitly disabled these should already be installed.
>
> Next I added a new connection of type "Ethernet" and left everything at
> default, except for setting the "Method" to "Shared to other computers"
> in the "IPv4 Settings" tab. For good measure I restarted the entire
> system, though I believe simply enabling the connection would have been
> enough.
>
> With these the system at the other end of the cable received a DHCP
> address in the 10.42.0.0/24 network and was able to ping both the "lan"
> as well as the "wan" interface of the "gateway". According to my reading
> the network can be changed by setting an address as desired.
>
> Unfortunately that is as far as I got. Since there are no recent reports
> of problems with this I strongly suspect the issue is some
> incompatibility between nft and the "special" 3.18 kernel running on the
> "gateway" system.
>
> IPv4 forwarding was enabled correctly and I also tried a workaround for
> an old bug (fixed already in stretch), i.e. setting IPv6 to "Ignore"
> (and restarting).
>
> In case someone is interested to dig deeper I'm attaching the output of
> 'nft list ruleset' (with the MAC address of the USB adapter redacted).
>
> Based on your symptoms I strongly suspect either one or both of
> dnsmasq-base and iptables were missing from your system.
>
> Kind regards,
> Andrei
> --
> http://wiki.debian.org/FAQsFromDebianUser

Thanks Andrei for being so nice and going to all this effort, and posting
the results of running
    nft list ruleset

Now, i do not have a command 'nft', or at least, no place that i can find a
path to it.   The man page for iptables-nft however lists your very command
as an example, 'nft list ruleset'.  But i cannot find 'nft' anywhere in the
filesystem (except as a directory in linux-headers-xxxx).

However, i do have commands /sbin/iptables and /sbin/iptables-nft.  When i
run either of them with the arguments --list-rules i get an output.  But it
is much shorter than yours, and '--verbose' only lengthens it very little.

The output is:

    -P INPUT ACCEPT
    -P FORWARD ACCEPT
    -P OUTPUT ACCEPT
    -A FORWARD -i enxXXXXXXXXX -j ACCEPT

while the verbose output is the same, except that the forward line now reads
    -A FORWARD -i enxXXXXXXXXX -c NNN MMMM -j ACCEPT

(I've redacted the usb-ethernet id, as well as the two mysterious numbers
after '-c': one having 3 digits and one having 5 digits.)

Anyhow, thanks again for pursuing this so far.

dan