Greg Wooledge wrote:
> First of all, let's be clear: the bug (#980119) affects "FTP over TLS"
> a.k.a. "FTPS" which is a hacked-up abomination of a protocol on top of
> the worst protocol ever conceived.
>
> Anyone actually using this needs to take some time and seriously
> re-evaluate their infrastructure.

  it is something that works, bits are bits, if they are
getting from my machine to the other at the other end of
the connection intact and in the right place with the right
permissions then i'm fine with continuing to use it.

  note that ISPs often don't provide the best and most up-
to-date resources or they may not advertise the recommended
alternatives.  and it takes time to make changes.  i sure
know that i normally hate "web interfaces" that are sometimes
available.

> The fact that very few people use this nonstandard protocol means it
> doesn't see as much testing as other protocols.

  true.

> You are running testing.  This means you are testing Debian's next
> release, before it's released, in order to spot bugs.  Thank you for
> that.  This is a service you are performing for the Debian community,
> and it's valued.
>
> As a volunteer tester, you accept the fact that the software you are
> testing may have bugs.  That's why you're testing it.
>
> This particular bug looks like it has been succesfully reported,
> reproduced, pinpointed, and a fix is underway.  I don't know what
> more you could possibly ask for.
>
> Meanwhile, if this bug affects you, you are free to install an older
> version of the package that doesn't have the bug, or to build a
> package with the upstream patch applied for your temporary local use,
> or to use a non-testing system for your production work.

  all agreed with, but it is better to not mess some things up
if you can avoid it.  :)

  songbird