On Mon, Feb 22, 2021, 1:47 PM Kent West <we...@acu.edu> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 1:37 PM Kent West <we...@acu.edu> wrote:
>

>> On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 7:52 AM Nicholas Geovanis <nickgeova...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> On Sun, Feb 21, 2021, 5:09 PM Kent West <we...@acu.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>> Brand new Debian box (tried Buster, then when that didn;' work, upgraded
>>> tp unstable - meh, it's a test box to get things sorted out before
>>> production use).
>>> su'd to root
>>>
>>> apt install'd aptitude, realmd, packagekit
>>>
>>> (packagekit grabbed the needed dependencies, such as sssd and samba (at
>>> least parts of them, and maybe part of KRB5 (the keytab thing-y), and
>>> [mostly] configured them)
>>>
>>> Ran "realm join MY.DOMAIN -U my_add-to-domain_user"
>>>
>>> getent passwd domain_user successfully returns data on the domain user:
>>>
>>> acutech@21260-debianvm:~$ getent passwd glerp@my.domain
>>> glerp@my.domain:*:495633057:495600513:glerp:/home/glerp@my.domain
>>> :/bin/bash
>>>
>>> Here are a few relevant lines from /var/log/auth.log:
>>>
>>> Feb 21 17:04:54 21260-debianvm sshd[5284]: pam_unix(sshd:auth):
>>> authentication failure; logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty=ssh ruser=
>>> rhost=127.0.0.1  user=glerp@my.domain
>>> Feb 21 17:04:54 21260-debianvm sshd[5284]: pam_sss(sshd:auth):
>>> authentication success; logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty=ssh ruser=
>>> rhost=127.0.0.1 user=glerp@my.domain
>>> Feb 21 17:04:54 21260-debianvm sshd[5284]: pam_sss(sshd:account): Access
>>> denied for user glerp@my.domain: 6 (Permission denied)
>>> Feb 21 17:04:54 21260-debianvm sshd[5284]: Failed password for
>>> glerp@my.domain from 127.0.0.1 port 59998 ssh2
>>> Feb 21 17:04:54 21260-debianvm sshd[5284]: fatal: Access denied for user
>>> glerp@my.domain by PAM account configuration [preauth]
>>>

>>> So I think what this is telling you is that authentication succeeded for
>>> the "auth" clause in the "sshd" section of the PAM config file (pam_sss).
>>> But then authentication failed in the "account" clause of the sshd section.
>>>
>>> So the question is why there?

>> I built another virtual machine on another Debian box, following the same
> steps. That one worked.
>
> I compared all the files I could think of (/etc/pam.d/ files,
> /etc/nsswitch.conf, /etc/ssd/ssd_config, etc), and made them identical.
> Didn't help.
>
> I then rebuilt the offending machine, removed it from the domain, followed
> the same steps again, and now ... it works.
>
> Go figure.

And having been on that merry-go-round myself more than once, Mr West☺
....that usually means something bad happened in the initial Kerberos
ticket granting process that happens at LDAP/AD initial config. First you
need a ticket-granting-ticket from the LDAP or AD domain (the TGT). And
then you need a session ticket for each kerberos session. Those sessions
are usually much shorter than the lifetime of a single boot. So sometimes
they need to be re-acquired outside of the boot process. And yes,
nsswitch.conf is vital.

There are folks on debian-user who understand it better than me. The first
time I did that was on Solaris 8 however. Built LDAP, nss and AD interface
code from source. No base config files except for PAM. Took a few tries but
it worked. It's hard to shake out and you did it.
West in pieces... ☺

I would have loved to have found the problem, but more importantly for me,