On Sun 28 Feb 2021 at 12:03:31 -0500, Celejar wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Feb 2021 22:49:58 +0000
> Brian <a...@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

> > > Sure there is -- add a link directly underneath it saying "if
> > > you require wireless connectivity during the installation, you
> > > may need to use this [link: alternate installer]."
> >
> > "if you require wireless connectivity during the installation, we
> > have a much better installer for you. [link: alternate installer]."
> >
> > (Don't ask ask why the inferior installer is prominent :).)
>
> Snark aside, what's wrong with something like this:
>
> "Many wireless network cards (and even some wired ones) require
> non-free firmware to function properly. This firmware is not included
> in the standard installation images, due to Debian's free software
> ideals. If the network hardware your installation will rely upon
> requires such firmware, you may consider using the alternate non-free
> installation images available here."

Submitted as a bug against www.debian.org, it could fly. However,
the word "standard" seems superfluous. It implies the existemce of
non-standard (non-free?) installer images and these, of course,
would not be capable of distribution. Bear in mind there is only
one true installer.

As for "alternate"; how can a non-free image be an alternative to
a free one and be promoted for download on the Debian main page?

--
Brian.