Weaver wrote:
There is nothing `unfriendly' concerning the filesystem heirarchy.
What negative experiences have you had with it, so far, that inclines
you to this point of view?

I too find the old-fashioned Unix common folder names and filesystem organization to be unfriendly, inconvenient, and I find them to be needlessly hard to understand to me. And I'm familiar with their origins in Unix. Friendliness and convenience strike me as subjective.

I don't know precisely what a different hierarchy would be but it's not hard for me to imagine what would puzzle the uninitiated. It seems to me something that could simultaneously work technically and facilitate easier at-a-glance understanding without need for a decades-old history lesson.

As for negative experiences, I think merely understanding one's own Debian system with a shallowed learning curve is a sufficient reason to warrant exploring the topic and experimenting with alternatives.