Thanks!

I ran the wineboot --init command and it worked, and I was able to install the
64bit program with "wine app64.exe", and it launches. Is there a difference
between the commands wine and wine64?

Now, do I need to reinstall all my previous 32bit programs, or can I use
WINEPREFIX pointing to the old .wine directory that I renamed ".wine32"?

Rick