On 2021-04-02 10:56 a.m., Charlie Gibbs wrote:

Emboldened by this, I went into the advanced options
and turned on "Continuous scan", then dropped in the
first part of a 300-page manual.  Once the sheets
were scanned, the scanner asked me whether I had
more; I put in the next bundle of sheets, said yes,
and away it went.  All was well until partway through
the last set of pages - on about page 280 the scanner
halted with an error message saying it had run out of
space.  A sheet was half-fed, the PDF file was incomplete
and therefore corrupt, and a second file was created
which contained garbage left over from a previously
deleted file.  That's not graceful - the least it
could have done was closed off the file cleanly.
The 2GB thumb drive was only 3% full.  (Maybe the
limit is internal to the scanner.)  For now I'll
assume a limit of 200 pages per file, and use
pdfunite to put the pieces together in the computer.

I did some more experimenting with scanning this larger
manual (about 360 pages, it turns out).  I re-formatted
that 2GB thumb drive and tried again; this time the
scanner fed the last sheet before coming up with
the error message.  I forget the exact wording, but it
was pretty specific about the USB device being full,
as opposed to some sort of internal memory overflow.
(Apparently the scanner has 512MB of memory.)
Again I got a corrupt PDF file, plus a second file
which contained data which should have only existed
on my other computers - which makes me wonder about
data security.

I suspect that the scanner needs a _lot_ of extra
space on the USB device to build the PDF file.
I tried again with a freshly-formatted 16GB stick
and the entire document scanned successfully.
The finished PDF file is just short of 40 megabytes.
Toward the end of the scanning, the scanner was
pausing more and more frequently - it seems that
things don't scale too well beyond about 300 pages.

Still, it's turning out to be a nice little scanner
for offline use.  If anyone has managed to do SFTP
from a Brother scanner, let me know how you did it.

I realize that this has turned into a review of the
scanner, but I've gotten so far into it that I might
as well see it through to the end.  For now, connection
to a computer is merely something it would be nice to
have, rather than a necessity.  The important part is
that I can use it to get my work done, one way or another.

--
cgi...@surfnaked.ca (Charlie Gibbs)