On 2021-05-18 at 16:08, Bob Bernstein wrote:

> '$ sudo apt-cache search seamonkey' does not turn up the
> browser/email "suite."
>
> My spidey sense suggests that the Subject: question, probably as a
> consequence of the internal logic (for lack of a better term) of the
> unixen "package" situation, is at best moot, and at worst, confused.
>
> Pls. advise.

As I understand matters, Seamonkey and other branches off the Mozilla
family tree are not packaged in Debian, specifically because it's hard
enough maintaining security support for just Firefox (and Thunderbird);
the Debian security team does not want to have to try to keep up with
doing it for any variants on top of that.

There shouldn't be any theoretical reason why you couldn't download the
source and build it locally, but depending on what the dependency and
build systems are like nowadays, that might get complicated.

It's also possible that some third parties may have already packaged it
into .deb form, albeit not necessarily in a way that'll work with any
particular Debian release; if you want to search for such a thing, and
risk creating a FrankenDebian to some degree with the result, you might
turn up useful results.

--
   The Wanderer