On Tue Jun 22 11:11:38 2021 Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net> wrote:

> On Tuesday 22 June 2021 07:02:25 Richard Owlett wrote:
>
>> On 06/22/2021 04:44 AM, Brad Rogers wrote:
>>
>>> In addition to everything everybody else has said, and just to make
>>> it absolutely clear;
>>>
>>> gmail != email
>>>
>>> or, in words;
>>>
>>> gmail IS NOT email
>>>
>>> There may be vast swathes of overlap, but don't expect google to do
>>> anything right.
>>>
>>> All that google offer is for THEIR benefit, not yours.
>>
>> One reason I pay a local supplier for email service -- effectively
>> it is cheaper than any so called "free service".
>
> Doesn't your ISP provide an email server? In my neck of the woods,
> its part of the services an ISP provides for a basic 10 megabaud
> connection.

Our ISP (Telus) recently decided to get out of the e-mail and web
hosting business.  All e-mail accounts have been transferred (e-mail
addresses and all) to Google.  I believe the appropriate term is
"sold down the river".

I was doing e-mail through a third party long before getting involved
with Telus, so I don't have to worry about it.  It's a few extra
dollars, but IMHO it's money well spent.

--
cgi...@surfnaked.ca (Charlie Gibbs)