On 7/7/21, Polyna-Maude Racicot-Summerside <deb...@polynamaude.com> wrote:
> On 2021-07-06 9:27 a.m., David wrote:
>> On Tue, 6 Jul 2021 at 23:17, Gunnar Gervin <dofee...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> grub rescue>
>>
>> Try reading this:
>> https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub/html_node/GRUB-only-offers-a-rescue-shell.html#GRUB-only-offers-a-rescue-shell
>>
>>> Tried to remove all 7 partitions in grub rescue>
>>
>> Why are you trying to remove partitions?
>> What is your goal?
>>
> This was the "killer" question you've asked here !
> People are always afraid when they ask themselves what am I trying to
> do, and ever worst, is this the way to do...
>
> Why would someone do partition editing inside GRUB ?
> Maybe getting confused between the partitions and menu options...

I wondered yesterday, too, but David covered it so I didn't ponder it
any further. TODAY is different so I'm taking the above one step
further to specifically ask if this is YOUR (OP's) choice or is the
system randomly telling you to go that route?

My thought process is to rule out that a malicious third party is at
work because of all the chatter about [malware] these days. :)

That GRUB prompt has beat me up often in the last couple of years. It
first came up when GRUB started failing for some of us with respect to
however we set up our GPT [tables].

The other times that were a lot easier to fix were about having
mismatched /vmlinuz and/or /initrd.img during booting. That problem
disappears when the right kernel is being booted.

Prior to realizing what I broke, I had mixed things up so that
something like 4.19 was booting instead of 5.10, but even ~5.7 was
causing that issue. If it manages to boot past the GRUB prompt, it
still eventually fails by multiple different types of freezing at the
login screen.**

It's a fair/rational talking point/checkpoint if that error ever pops
up on tech lists. The fact that it magically goes away without
intervention sometimes is because there was probably another kernel
upgrade that incidentally fixed the cross-wiring.. :)

Cindy :)

** There was a period of time where I accidentally tripped over that
my cursor was hiding offscreen sometimes when login was failing. I
almost posted on Debian-Accessiblity to ask if they had helped change
some boot accessibility setting (related to negative margins for
positioning screenreader features)... and then I tripped over the
mismatched kernels. Cursor stays on screen now.

One last head scratcher about it was that I couldn't login at all if
cursor wasn't visible. If the cursor was movable and could be dragged
into view from the right side, I could suddenly log in to a normal,
long session just fine. That was an odd trigger toward success when
the real problem was about mismatched kernels.
--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with birdseed *