Hi Urs,

Your plan to change the SATA cable seems wise - your various error
rates are higher than I have normally seen.

Also worth bearing in mind that Linux MD RAID 1 will satisfy all
read IO for a given operation from one device in the mirror. If
you have processes that do occasional big reads then by chance those
can end up being served by the same device leading to a big
disparity in per-device LBAs read.

You can do RAID-10 (even on 2 or 3 devices) which will stripe data
at the chunk size resulting in even a single read operation being
striped across multiple devices, though overall this may not be more
performant than RAID-1, especially if your devices were
non-rotational. You would have to measure.

I don't know about the write overhead you are seeing.

Cheers,
Andy