Hi beautiful ideals!
Decided to install Virtual Machine & Docker in this 14 year old ex-Macbook.
In which I installed Debian "Buster" i386 32 bits. As some of you know, I
did some failures during installation, the dvd player "hung" a bit several
times, so I saw it installing at least 3 times. I made a puzzling
observation: 64 came up a lot of times, but the machine seemed to handle
it. ("Is it 64 bits anyway?" I wondered.)
Now I found the following information in Wikipedia:
" Mac OS X 10.6 <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X_Snow_Leopard> is
the first version of macOS <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacOS> that
supports a 64-bit kernel <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel_(computing)>.
"
n Snow Leopard, most built-in applications have been rebuilt to use the
64-bit x86-64 <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86-64> architecture
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instruction_set_architecture> (excluding
iTunes <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITunes>, Front Row
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front_Row_(software)>, Grapher
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grapher> and DVD Player
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_Player_(software)> applications).[43]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X_Snow_Leopard#cite_note-43> They
will run in 32-bit <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/32-bit> mode on machines
with 32-bit processors, and in 64-bit mode on machines with 64-bit
processors.
A change to the com.apple.Boot.plist will also enable users with compatible
computers to permanently boot into 64-bit for those wishing to do so.
After upgrading the kernel from 32b to 64b, if advisable & possible.
How to do that? Clean reinstall I guess optional, but will that suffice?
Geg