Steve.
At least Debian works better in this old Mac best of all else I've tried.
Debian is very instructive, which in itself is an argument to use it for a
newbie in IT & Linux.
BR,
Gunnar.
PS.
And level of patience, respect & even humility is a bit higher here than
the smaller, also quick response, helpsite I used in another Linux distro.
That bit is necessary for me to keep focus.
DS.