Hi,

On 2021-08-12 3:22 p.m., Brian wrote:
> On Tue 10 Aug 2021 at 18:29:02 -0400, Polyna-Maude Racicot-Summerside wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> I'm using a Xerox B205 MFC and it's fully supported. Yes it's laser but
>> the reason I am writing this message regard something else.
>>
>> It's the support of MOPRIA.
>> Even if it's mostly made for Android, what it does is offer a discovery
>> and printing protocol compatible with all CUPS system (will publish IP
>> endpoint that support PostScript, PCL and PDF, all depending on the
>> printer but at least one of them). Regarding the scanner, it will
>> support sending by email thru the use of a SMTP server account.
>>
>> So I think we can say these devices will be supported by Linux (and Debian).
>
> I was a bit taken aback when you advocated Mopria as a criterion for
> determining whether a printer could be operated driverlessly on Debian.
> But is it the *best* criterion?
>
> I've now got my head around it.
>
> Surely, it is better looking for AirPrint support in the printer specs
> to determine the driverless capabilities of printer?

Have you looked what does Mopria is ?

It require that the printer (and scanner) offer :
Printing thru the use of IPP protocol
Possibility to send the data in PDF format directly (or JPG)
Auto discovery of the services offered thru "Bonjour".

And all of the condition make a printer pretty much driver less.

There's no link with you talking about AirPrint.
--
Polyna-Maude R.-Summerside