Wouldn't it be necessary to update this document then?

"The main archive area forms the Debian distribution.

Packages
 in the other archive areas (contrib, non-free) are not considered to be
 part of the Debian distribution, although we support their use and
provide infrastructure for them (such as our bug-tracking system and
mailing lists). This Debian Policy Manual applies to these packages as
well."

https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-archive.html