On Thu, Aug 26, 2021 at 08:16:23PM +0200, to...@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 26, 2021 at 06:24:01PM +0100, Brian wrote:
> > On Thu 26 Aug 2021 at 11:31:30 -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> >
> > > On Thu, Aug 26, 2021 at 04:25:54PM +0100, Brian wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> > >
> > > This is the part that I don't quite understand.  How does that matter?
> >
> > The system needs to be updated on the groups the user is in. CUPS will
> > consult it.
>
> there is also newgrp(1), that might do it (I haven't tried it explicitly).

Do what?  What's "it"?

Why would opening a shell with a new set of group privileges inside your
interactive session change how a daemonized CUPS web agent acts?

Logging out and back in is necessary for ensuring that your interactive
shells, your word processors, your web browsers, and so forth, are running
with your newly acquired privileges.  But we're not running printer
administration commands from the shell here, so our shell doesn't actually
need these privileges, as far as I can see.

(If you were in fact going to try disabling/enabling/adding printers
from the shell, then yeah.  Logging out and back in, or running
"exec su - $LOGNAME" or an equivalent command in one of your shells, would
be a good starting point.)