* On 2021 15 Sep 13:02 -0500, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 15, 2021 at 12:58:10PM -0500, Nate Bargmann wrote:
> > * On 2021 15 Sep 10:44 -0500, Jonathan Dowland wrote:
> > > What does this command report?
> > >
> > >     ;see --norun application/octet-stream:/dev/null
> >
> > In the message window, "key not bound", in the view attachment window,
> > "no tagged entries".  If I tag the file attachment, then ; is accepted
> > and s is interpreted as 'save file' and the rest of the command string
> > becomes the proposed file name to save.
> >
> > I tried preceding the command with : instead and that failed.
>
> Jonathan's message confused me too.  As far as I can tell, "see" is
> a *shell* command, not a mutt command.  I don't know why there's a ";"
> in front of it.

Ahh!  Thanks for that bit of info, Greg!  I'll admit that is one command
I don't recall running across in 25 years of using Linux.

The man page synopsis:

run‐mailcap, view, see, edit, compose, print - execute programs via en‐
tries in the mailcap file

> unicorn:~$ see --norun application/octet-stream:/dev/null
> Error: no "view" mailcap rules found for type "application/octet-stream"

Here it is apparently picking up my ~/.mailcap definition:

$ see --norun application/octet-stream:/dev/null
vim /dev/null

But Neomutt is picking up less instead.  This after closing and
restarting Neomutt after changing the file.

> Nothing else I tried made any more sense than that.  Even using ":"
> instead of ";" (to invoke it as a mutt command) didn't work, because "see"
> isn't a mutt command.

Thanks for restoring my limited sanity.  ;-D

I 'see' what was intended now.

The manual page leads me to the mime.types file, of which I only have a
copy in /etc.  For 'application/octet-stream' it shows this:

application/octet-stream                        bin deploy msu msp

which is not the extension of the attached file.  The .patch extension
appears to be:

text/x-diff                                     diff patch

Of course, we're now dealing with a Web mail server of some kind that is
possibly misconfigured and the odds of getting that fixed are likely
vanishingly small.

Plan B, detach the file and view it manually which I've already done.

Thanks!

- Nate

Web: https://www.n0nb.us
Projects: https://github.com/N0NB