On 10/13/2021 12:09 PM, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
On Wed, Oct 13, 2021 at 08:51:28AM -0700, Peter Ehlert wrote:

On 10/13/21 8:16 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
It appears to me that netinst.iso assumes that there are *exactly* two
choices for internet connectivity:
    an ethernet device
           *OR*
           WiFi

However, I use a USB device [ an Alcatel Linkzone from T-Mobile ]
The installer is unable to see the internet.

are you using the nonfree firmware ISO?

I have had no troubles with multiple installs, but I only use the nonfree

Firmware iso is what I would suggest.

Based on using that device on all of my Debian machines, I believe the
problem is how Debian negotiates with a USB device and that the Linkzone
resembles a disk drive until the negotiations have been completed.

My evidence is how GParted responds to a USB flash drive.
If the flash drive is inserted first, it is /dev/sdb .
Else if the Linkzone is inserted first, the flash drive is identified as
/dev/sdc .

Is there any workaround?
TIA

Is the linkzone recognised at all as a modem?

I'm connected to the internet right now with it as I have been since days of Squeeze/Wheezy.

Do you have wired connectivity available to you - that's also a way
round "stuff" with firmware to at least get a system up and running.

All best,

Andy Cater