courtneyxshort wrote:

> I am a Computer Science Masters student and part of my degree involves me
> downloading Debian on my Mac. I have tried this countless times and I have
> been unsuccessful.  I've watched Youtube videos/ read the information on
> your website and I am still unable to do this.
>
> Is this something you could please help me with? I would be so grateful.

Debian is an operating system, not an application. It wants to
run your computer the same way that MacOS does.

Assuming that you want to keep running MacOS day-to-day, your
best bet is to install Debian in a virtual machine.

You can use the netinst image to install Debian into a VM:
https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/amd64/iso-cd/debian-11.1.0-amd64-netinst.iso

or you can get a live VM image from

https://cloud.debian.org/images/cloud/bullseye/20211011-792/

and run under any of the following virtualization systems:

Parallels
VirtualBox
VMWare
and the free QEMU:
https://wiki.qemu.org/Hosts/Mac

In either case, you should read through

https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/

Note that if you have a very recent Mac -- one with an M1 CPU --
support is going to be more limited.

It might be to your advantage to just pay ($5-$10/month) for a VM in the cloud;
talk to your instructors.

It is also likely that your university has resources to offer
here.

-dsr-