Something got really messed up during the upgrade.  There are broken
dependencies and some packages (like some vim addon) don't work at all.
Vim, for instance is unusable.

I have tried all the dpkg/apt/apt-get commands to fix broken dependencies,
broken packages, etc, and they all return without error now [1], but aptitude
starts "resolving dependencies" and it soon uses up all the available RAM,
then all the available swap and the system slows down (thrashing) and then
freezes.

Earlier on, I fixed /etc/apt/sources.list and the apt/apt-get/dpkg commands
installed and removed some packages, but now it's at a steady state where
there are no errors according to these commands.

I've tried this operation (the same HD) on a system with 8 GB RAM (the
original system), one with 16 GB and one with 32 GB.  Same result.

I've even tried:

debsums -cs

Find which packages contain the corrupt files.  Returns a list of packages.

debsums -c | xargs -rd '\n' -- dpkg -S | cut -d : -f 1 | sort -u

Reinstall the damaged packages:

xargs -rd '\n' -a <(sudo debsums -c | xargs -rd '\n' -- dpkg -S | cut -d : -f 1
| sort -u) -- sudo apt-get install -f --reinstall --

Check if no corrupt files remain.  Should return no output if everything ok.

debsums -c

If config files have changed, this will show them.

debsums -as

But debsums -cs didn't return anything, so apparently nothing is corrupt, at
least as far as apt/dpkg/apt-get are concerned.

Apparently, the apt/dpkg/apt-get sub-systems don't find the problems.
Aptitude knows there's something wrong but can't fix it.

What can I do to make aptitude finish resolving dependencies and fix the
broken packages?  Where can I look for hints? Help please!

Augustine

[1] I've tried all the steps specified here:

https://www.makeuseof.com/how-to-find-and-fix-broken-packages-on-linux/
https://linuxhint.com/apt_get_fix_missing_broken_packages/

and more.  After so many tries, the same set of dpkg/apt/apt-get commands are
repeated on multiple web sites.