On Tue, Jan 11, 2022 at 12:42:11PM -0500, Roy J. Tellason, Sr. wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 January 2022 11:24:27 am Greg Wooledge wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 11, 2022 at 11:03:55AM -0500, Roy J. Tellason, Sr. wrote:
>
> I don't do anything much under debian that needs to have sound working,  so I
> hadn't noticed a problem until the virtualboxed Slackware didn't have sound
> any more,  and there are a few things I do in there where I *do* want sound
> working.  Firing up another instance of it at somebody's suggestion took care
> of that problem,  though I did have to reboot the virtualbox in order for it
> to see it.
>
> > Sadly, I don't know enough to offer any helpful advice.  All I can give
> > you are some questions that you might ask yourself to try to gather
> > more information about the issue:
> >
> > What version of Debian?
>
> According to /etc/debian_version 9.3...

I hope that's 9.13 - so updated as at 2020-07-18. if not - please, before you
do anything else, please apt-get update ; apt-get dist-upgrade (or equivalent)
to bring you to the latest version of 9.

Reboot: then look at apt autoremove to remove old programs.

If you're going to do this, at least do the right thing by bringing yourself
up to the latest correct version of whatever you're moving from.
It is _not_ a good idea to just pick a random point release of Debian and
sue that as the basis for a Debian machine. If you install from old media,
if you are network connected, then the the install process will normally
update you to the latest version of that release.

> > The answers to those might help someone else help you.  We can hope, anyway.
>
> I'll get a handle on this sooner or later...
>
> --

All the very best, as ever,

Andy Cater