On Du, 23 ian 22, 22:43:49, Andy Smith wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Jan 23, 2022 at 04:08:34PM -0500, gene heskett wrote:
> > So what is the official, works in bookworm every time, way to totally
> > kill ipv6, making it use ipv4 for everything?
>
> You don't need to; having IPv6 active doesn't cause any problem even
> if you don't have a default route that supports IPv6. If it does
> cause a problem then there is a misconfiguration to be solved. You are
> wasting your time and introducing more places where you can make a
> configuration error resulting in yet another of your megathreads¹.

To be 100% fair, there *were* some issues with DNS and IPv6.

It's 10 years or more since, but as far as I remember it was due to
crappy DNS servers (mostly in proprietary firmwares of home routers),
that claimed to support IPv6, but failed to do so properly.

The quick fix was indeed disabling IPv6 support on the Linux side, but I
believe the issues were soon worked around in the Linux kernel[1].

This is very unlikely to affect Gene as he is running (hopefully
updated) DD-WRT on the router.

[1] Not sure if any Debian stable release was even affected by this, and
even if it did, it was one release at most.

Kind regards,
Andrei