Slightly off-topic question: using pre-5.15 kernel, how can I
mount a
partition with kernel driver?

You can't, the NTFS kernel driver first appeared in Linux 5.15.

  From what I understand, there was a read-only driver before 5.15:
- see for example
https://superuser.com/questions/139452/kernel-ntfs-driver-vs-ntfs-3g
or
https://www.paragon-software.com/us/home/ntfs3-driver-faq/
- kernel build config (/boot/config-....) also mentions ntfs, even
for
pre-5.15 kernels

Sorry, you are correct, I was mistaken, it's been in the kernel tree
[1] for over a decade. However I can't find it mentioned in the config
for the Debian kernels on my machine so I'm assuming Debian don't
enable it (I'm looking in /boot/config-5.10.0-11-amd64). But you say
you found in in you kernel configs?

[1]
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/log/fs/ntfs

My mistake here, sorry :-) Indeed, Debian stable kernel's config does not mention NTFS, so my question is off-topic in this mailing list.

For Linux Mint 20.3 LiveCD, kernel is 5.4.0-91.102 from Ubuntu, and its config mentions `CONFIG_NTFS=m`. Module is present in /lib/modules/5.4.0-91-generic/kernel/fs/. So I should be able to mount read-only with this driver, but don't know how.